Search

A Timeline

information accredited to aDAIR margo

Support Lydia Patterson by purchasing Margo's book, Voices of LA LYDIA


1729

John & Charles Wesley start a society at Oxford to help young men live Christian lives. Pejoratively called the “Holy Club,” the epithet “Methodist” is first applied to its members.

1817

Preaching of first Methodist sermon in Texas, violating the law of Mexico.

1881

Cornerstone of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church (MECS) laid at corner of Texas & Stanton Streets in El Paso.


1909

Lydia Patterson dies.

1910 - 1920

Mexican Revolution disrupts Protestant missionary work in Mexico, sending missionaries & refugees to El Paso.

1913

Millard Patterson funds Lydia Patterson Institute (LPI) for “the education and religious training of boys & young men” in memory of his wife at Third & Florence Streets in El Paso. School donated to the MECS.


Millard Patterson, 1919. Photograph courtesy of Adair Margo.



1915

LPI has 140 students ranging from ages from five to twenty-five.

Mexican branch of the YMCA started in the basement.

1918

Centenary of MECS mission work. Money raised for four-story Mitchell annex on Third & Campbell Streets across the alley from LPI.

Effie Edington moves to two-story building at 1215-23 East San Antonio Street & becomes girls boarding school.

First graduating class of LPI.

First basketball team organized at LPI.

Theological department organized at LPI.



La Lydia, 1919. Photograph courtesy of Adair Margo.



1922

LPI annex established in basement of El Divino Salvador Methodist Church in Ciudad Juàrez (until 1925).



Boys in Lydia Patterson Institute, 1928, Photograph, December 3, 1928; digital image, (http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14080/ : accessed August 19, 2013), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, http://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Clark Hotel Museum, Van Horn, Texas.



1925

Mexican government closes all schools conducted in religious buildings.

1930

Great Depression forces curtailment of LPI offerings & closure of industrial shops in Mitchell Annex. Only missionary faculty remain at LPI.


1935